“Use a Page Ranking Tool to Check the Effectiveness of Your Marketing Campaign” or “The Myth of Sisyphus”
In order to see the results of your search engine optimization and search engine marketing campaigns, you should use a page ranking tool again and again, and monitor the progress that your site is making.
This may seem a boring task and could also be useless if you do not take action and adjust your strategies in the meantime. This is where your situation begins to resemble that of Sisyphus! He was condemned to push a boulder up the mountain again and again, simply to see how it roll down once more.
Sisyphus was helpless, because he could not change anything with respect to the terms of his task. You, instead, are free to use all the means to have your website better placed by the web page ranking algorithms.
And, if your page rank is not satisfactory, you could begin by suspecting the quality of your keywords before analyzing how the marketing campaign was conducted. It may be that your keywords are not well chosen or you have a problem with the keyword density.
What Are Keywords and Why Are They Said to Increase Web Page Ranking?
Keywords are the search queries people use when looking for information on the search engines. Most website owners and SEO specialists build their optimization campaigns around these keywords, which, in the end, represent the foundation of their efforts to increase page ranking. Choosing the right keywords, however, takes time, effort and research that most beginners know nothing about, the best decision being to leave this task to professionals.
Why is it so important to choose the appropriate keywords? If you succeed, more people interested in what you are selling will find you and they will find you faster. It is like looking for someone whose name is John Johnson in the state of Colorado.
Let us assume that you are selling jewels. Choosing “jewels” as a keyword is as vague as saying “John Johnson from Colorado”. There are as many businesses selling jewels as people named John Johnson in the whole state, so it is rather unlikely for someone to find your business.
Use the Google’s AdWords keyword tools and you will see how many website use the term as keyword and how many people google for “jewels” every month, both locally and globally.
If you say “silver jewels” instead, it would be like searching for John Johnson from Denver, Colorado. Fewer people with this name live in Denver, and, probably, fewer businesses sell silver jewels as well.
If you continue to add information, such as “silver jewels pearls”, it is like giving the street name in the address. And finally, if you say “silver jewels natural pearls”, it already means that you know even the number where John Johnson lives.
Use the Google keywords tool again and you will easily notice the difference.
Five Keyword Research Tips to Consider
There are many tips that could help you find the most adequate keywords for your website, but you may consider the following five as the most important:
• Use a key phrase instead of a single word – If you think of what you are going to sell, it will be simple to associate two or three words and form a powerful compound keyword this way;
• Avoid vague keywords, which describe too general domains, like “jewels” that we saw before – try to narrow the search area as much as possible, because this strategy will make the web page ranking algorithms work for you;
• Appreciate correctly the value of repetition – to put it in other words, if you say “silver necklace” and “silver necklace pearls”, you could very well eliminate the first keyword, because the second one covers it completely, but if you put instead of “silver necklace” “silver pendant”, you achieve a larger covering;
• Do not ignore unusual expressions or typos, because they are encountered quite often in practice – for example, you could have “perls” instead of “pearls”, or “pendent” instead of “pendant”;
• Finally, let your SEO keywords guide your content strategy – do not write the content of your website and only then select the keywords, because you will then ask yourself “what happened to my page ranking?”; try to choose a number of keywords adequate to what your business means and write the content afterwards; from time to time, come back, just like Sisyphus, and adjust your keywords using the google keywords tool and the content accordingly.
Is Keyword Density Really Important?
On this topic, you will hear different opinions from different people. Some of them say that density is no longer a valid criterion these days when it comes to increasing page ranking values, while others insist that a balanced density is beneficial to any website. However, most of them agree that a too low density does not make sense, while an exaggerated one could mislead the crawlers and determine a negative reaction from their part.
As a conclusion, do not forget to use your preferred page ranking tool from time to time, to measure the performance of your website, or, if you detest that Sisyphus work, let a specialized team do it, because they have the necessary knowledge and experience.